What’s in it for you?
Through this 10-week, paid summer internship, you’ll gain knowledge and insight into corporate private brand design with a focus on a specific product line. Working as an integral member of a Macy’s design team, you’ll learn the design process in the scope of product development, and hone your presentation skills, communication skills, time management and business etiquette. You will gain exposure and communicate with overseas offices as well as the global vendor community and merchant partners for private brand line development strategy. Through a product development partnered case study project, you will develop your skills to design a product line, analyze our business, identify a market opportunity for Macy’s, develop a business plan with your team and present your plan to Macy’s, Inc. executives. This internship is located exclusively in New York City.
- Classroom sessions are combined with hands-on learning as a member of a Macy’s design team
- Hands-on learning includes daily design related responsibilities as well as participation in tactical meetings with vendors, manufacturers and merchant partners.
- Learning objectives are coordinated with projects and a weekly VP informational series to enhance your understanding of the retail business.
- Cross-functional and cross-departmental exposures/shadowing are encouraged and facilitated.
- Macy’s cultural education is fostered through various relating field trips and team building activities.
- Group case study project and presentation of a business development strategy to Macy’s, Inc. executives
What you have the opportunity to do
- Work with our design staff and assist in designing a product line geared toward fulfilling a market opportunity for Macy’s
- Gain exposure to Trend and Color Research and Development resources
- Practice techniques of competitive shopping to gain awareness of trends
- Learn to understand weekly selling to participate in departmental bestseller meetings
- With team guidance, communicate with overseas offices and merchant partners regarding line development
- Build professional development through on the job learning, cross-functional and cross-departmental shadowing, and peer mentorship
- Enhance your understanding of coordination between functional areas to deliver the best business results
- Interact with subject matter experts to understand the scope of the multibillion dollar business of Private Brands and to discover the multitude of career opportunities available in Macy’s Private Brands
- Present a comprehensive group business plan to Macy’s, Inc. executives
- Become involved in the company’s community initiatives, including the popular Partners In Time volunteer program
What to bring to the internship
- Rising sophomore or junior status with solid academic record
- Completed coursework in fashion design
- Organized and comprehensive design portfolio
- Proficiency on PCs and MS Office; excellent Excel skills critical
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects to achieve productivity and business goals
- Ability to promote teamwork, solve problems and manage complex relationships
- Previous internship experience in design or technical design a plus
- Knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator
- Knowledge of U4ia, PrimaVision and CAD a plus
Macy’s, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.